WordPress websites for departments of The University of California, Berkeley
In 2016 – 2021, Xfive collaborated with eleven departments of the prestigious University of California, Berkeley. University departments required simple, clean, accessible websites that were easy to use and manage. WordPress was a perfect fit for this set of requirements.
Xfive designed and developed their WordPress websites from scratch or based on a migration from Drupal or a legacy CMS based on Ruby on Rails.
Because of the specific requirements of higher education institutions, the design and structure followed a set of predefined rules. Depending on the size and complexity of the department, we either developed a custom WordPress website or suggested a purpose-made, higher-education theme called Press+.
Xfive delivered websites to the following UC Berkeley departments:
- The Department of Astronomy
- The Theoretical Astrophysics Center
- Center for Integrative Planetary Science
- The History of Art Department
- The Department of Film & Media
- The Department of Rhetoric
- The Department of German
- UC Berkeley Center for Race and Gender
- The Department of Ethnic Studies
- The Department of African American Studies
The key aspects of our solution: accessible, easy-to-use, reliable websites
- Accessibility and responsiveness are two must-haves for any organizational and educational website, implemented according to the latest guidelines and current best practices.
- WordPress allows users of all levels of skills and experience to administer the website, edit and update its content, manage its roles, etc.
- The migration from legacy CMS platforms brings value to UC Berkeley departments thanks to faster load times, modern yet clean design, SEO improvements, and ease of management.
- The Care & Maintenance plan keeps the websites up-to-date, allows for improvements in themes and plugins as needs arise, and helps avoid accumulating technical debt.
They’ve never turned us down when we’ve had questions; their availability is excellent.